Drivers Wanted




Drivers Wanted......Drivers Wanted...... Drivers Wanted...... Drivers Wanted

If you are an experienced Class 1 Truck Driver, and you think you have what it takes to become an hard working North American Truck Driver, capable of doing over 500 miles a day.

Ayr Motor is interested in you.

Email me with you name and I will gladly send you more details. Allow a few days for reply.

Wednesday 9 June 2010

First Canniversary

So what a funny trip I have had this time. Normally everything just flows one load after another. Not this time. something must have jinxed me. I took a few wrong turns and some how everything looks really funny, and everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road. Free Emoticons


Weather is nothing new

Dam it, how the hell did I end up in the UK….yep you read it right. Free Emoticons Don’t worry, we are only on vacation. I could not post it before as we was surprising some of the family. We only booked it a couple of weeks before we came out. That’s why I think I was jinxed for the last couple of weeks with going back to bad luck UK. Free Emoticons well for me anyways. Like I said, nothing flowed right when I went out last time. I went out on the Holiday Monday late afternoon. So by the time I was getting to my deliveries and collections, there would be no one to load me, I would have to wait till the morning. So I was doing some short days at first. As the days went on I managed to put some extra hours in when I could and catch up on mile. One of the reloads got me back to Woodstock five days early. Because I had been delayed the day before I thought I would do them a favour and do thirteen hours straight to get the load to the yard the same night. While I was fuelling on the way back I got a message, saying when I was back in Woodstock they was going to put a team in my truck. So I had a go at them on the phone, for taking me out of the truck five days early for my vacation. I understood why. They had a team available and they wanted to get as much time in my truck as they could while I was off. It was the fact that they did not ask me or explain why. I had to figure it out for my self. They did give me a brand new Freightliner Cascadia, just a week old to use till it was time to catch the plane though. So over the eight and half days in both trucks, I managed to do 4800miles.
My Son hiding in one of the truck cupboards
Still a place for my pop

Once back home we then had a thirteen hour drive to the airport the following day. We used to get direct flights to and from Fredericton but they stopped it last year. Now we have to fly from either Halifax, Nova Scotia, five hours away or Toronto, Ontario thirteen hours away, or take an internal flight to either airport which cost a fortune. With Emma never seeing anywhere other than New Brunswick, we decided to fly from Toronto. With the kids it was best to set off at supper time so they could watch a few movies on the laptop before going to sleep and sleeping all night. Emma drove for the first six hours. Longest she has ever done in one stint, and I drove for the rest. Not that I got any sleep before hand. We arrived at 7am so had all day to shop around, before getting on the plane.

Since we have been in the UK, it has been one rush around after another. Trying to visit all the family as much as we can. Not having time to ourselves, but thats ok, we don't come often. It is really great to see our family and friends, but as for the UK. We now know moving to Canada is the right move. Its just a pity our friends and family didn’t come with us, then life would have been perfect. When Emma first came over to Canada. We was not the sensible people that normally visit somewhere before deciding to move there. Neither of us had ever been to Canada before. So it was a shot in the dark. We did as much research as we could on the internet though. For me it was easy. I had lived away from my home town before, and I adapt really easy. Emma on the other hand, had lived in the same town all her life, so moving to Canada was a big shock. At first she just wanted to come back to the UK, then over time she as adjusted to the way of life over there. It has took some doing, she improved more these last few months where she has met more and more friends etc. Coming back to the UK on vacation, was partly to see if we had made the right decision moving to Canada. There are many things we miss about the UK, mainly family and friends, but if we was to make a list of the good and bad points on both countries. Canada would win no problem. When you live in the UK. Its just a way of life that you are used to. You don’t know any different, till you go and live elsewhere. Canada is such a laid back place. Nobody rushes around, people just drive at the speed limits, no traffic on the roads, a very easy relaxing place. They are in no rush to do anything. The only queue you see is at Tim Horton’s. (I think they cant work a kettle) Free Emoticons Once you have lived like that for a year, then when you go back to the UK, you realise what a rat race it is to live in the UK. Everyone flying about as though there is no tomorrow. Cars speeding around, loads of traffic on the roads, queues everywhere you go like shops, supermarkets etc. Emma said when we drove to Toronto. We arrived the start of rush hour. It was the first traffic jam she had seen since we lived in Canada. When we lived in the UK, I’m a really laid back person, but I was a workaholic. I had three businesses to run so worked 18hrs a day seven days a week. I had time for nothing. Just trying to give my family a good way of life, even though I had no time to spend with them. Even been back now, all I hear from other people is they have no time to do this, that and the other. Its just not the way to live. The recession was finishing me off, so moving to Canada, was cutting my losses and starting afresh. So glad we did. I have never been so relaxed in my life than I am now living and working in Canada. Even though I’m out for two weeks at a time, then only have two or three days off. I have spent more quality time with Emma and the kids than I ever had the chance all the time we was in the UK. While I’m out on the road. Sometimes Emma gets bored though, but that is mainly because things are so much more apart in Canada and she feels like she might get lost, but after the drive she did to the airport. I think she will start and venture out abit further now as there are not that many roads to go on anyway. To give you an idea. Driving in the UK between the two furthest parts, mainly Land’s End to John O’ Groats changing from one road to the next, is more or less the same distance from Woodstock NB, to the airport in Toronto. Other than a couple of road changes in Montreal. It is one road all the way. So its so much quicker and easier to drive in Canada than the UK, so I think she will be better now.

Anyway I have rambled on wayyyy too much. Free Emoticons Conclusion is, exactly one year to the day. Canada is a great move, So now I will shut up till we get back next week. So till then, bye for now.
Some of the places I drove through on my last trip.



One of the many yard sales you see



1 comment:

Mick Flynn Images said...

I found the driving over there unbelievably easy, from Calgary to los Angeles...one road, and only a few lumps of traffic!